Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thank you notes:

It strikes me that this whole blog could be nothing but thank-you notes and it would still be way more than I could write.

Recent entries would include (in no particular order):

  • Mana, for unbelievable grandparenting during Sam's trip, when RSV decided to come for a visit. Julian, in his feverish misery, would go on a hunger strike if we (Mana or me) tried to put him down. It was quite cozy if we ignored how much other stuff we weren't getting done and just sat still and handed him back and forth. Still, not the way we would choose to earn quality time.
  • Our other beloved family and friends, who were helping in innumerable ways even after Julian decided he wouldn't drink anything unless he was held by me or Mom. Before the RSV struck we were actually doing very well, following the rather excellent plan that Sam had made. Jodie, Tom, Danya, Simone and Andrew, Meghan and Julienne, Anita and Michael, we loved the time we got to spend with you, and we missed the time that we should have shared which was stolen by that dreaded germ! Zaide and Pop, many thanks for helping out in so many ways and for sharing your spouses with us during our time of greatest need!
  • Jonas, who has been deservedly recognized by Mana and Zaide for being an *amazing* big brother to a boy whose fundamentally sunny disposition has been thoroughly clouded by the twin fronts of twoness and sickness (how much thinner can I stretch that metaphor? Hmmm...) Awesome! You must have some secret power that I haven't seen documented in any comic books. Or pokemon cards.
  • Emma deserves huge thanks not only for being such an active member of what was clearly a fantastic team, but in particular for being a conduit through which I could stay in touch with Sam. I don't know what we would have done without her patient sharing of her cell phone. You know, Emma, sometimes I do actually want to talk to you when I call!
  • Sweet Sam, who is doing more as a high school teacher to heal the rift between our country and the Muslim world than most diplomats have achieved. You helped Mike assemble a top notch bunch of educational ambassadors, and made the most of the experience yourself. We love seeing your pictures and videos, and hearing your stories, and I am getting such a kick out of how much the boys admire your adventurous spirit. We love that you are such a capable globetrotter, and their image of how one should interact with the world has been permanently broadened and improved. I only hope that I can manage to keep up with you three when the next adventure arises.
  • Collette and Don, who sent me this fantastic fleece for Christmas. I should be the last person to need a new fleece (we could construct a whole flock of fake sheep out of our collection), but I have been living in this thing since I opened it. It is light enough to wear inside, and thick enough to protect me when I go wandering out to run between houses or get pellets for the stove, and it has this perfect iPhone pocket which allowed me to avoid losing my precious little gadget. This was more important than you might expect when the iPhone became a lifeline through which I could keep in touch with Sam with one hand while cradling the aforementioned sick toddler with the other. Sometimes it is very hard to "care for yourself while caring for others" (as Mom's workshop is titled) and you kept me from freezing on countless absent-minded forays into what has been an unforgiving winter.
Oy, I could go on for ever. Instead, I'd better get to bed. G'night Johnboy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home