Monday, October 10, 2005

The Fairies arrive


So last night the fairies arrived, in their house.

Jonas' commentary includes the following: There are many creatures living in the house, including: "fairies and animals. Foxes and a hedghoge and a bunny and a squirrel. That's all." Where did the fairy house come from? "Bobby and Zan". Which is taller, you or the fairy house? "Me". Where is the fairy house now? "in the play room".

Sam set it up the night before, seeming very impressed and excited herself. Must admit, it is excellent to have toys in the house! Jonas was overjoyed to see it upon waking the next morning. He is perhaps more excited about the animals, at the moment, than the fairies. I expect that will change. I could tell he is very invested in this particular toy, because he was very upset when I moved something.



I believe that at some point we will need a visit from Zan and Bobby to show us all of its various intricacies. Until then, perhaps its residents will continue to reveal its secrets.



His imaginary play has taken a giant leap forward, as it has done several times before. I can see concepts and phrases and scripts appearing that I assume come from kids at school; high drama in particular. For the first time recently I asked him what was wrong only to find out that his imaginary play had sounded to me like distress. As I used to say in my role as TL camp nurse, the crux of the task is to differentiate between "trauma and drama". He has gained an ability to enjoy this drama as long as he is playing it out -- if we play at such things, or if he sees them on a screen or a book, he still finds them rather distressing. Although I must qualify that statement, because there are times now that he delights in spooky or thrilling play for a few moments, but then says "stop" even as he keeps giggling. Just in time for Halloween.

His new best friend is a rubber bouncy horse named Rody. They travel all over the house together, and he has scolded me several times for bumping Rody, or knocking him over. Rody's staring at me at this very minute, with his big blue eyes and green skin, with a heart shaped forlock between his ears. He is an excellent source of indoor exercise during such a rainy stretch of weather!

Many thanks to Tom, Sara, Zan, and Bobby!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home