Thursday, May 03, 2007

Happy Mother's Day, Mimi :-)




In honor of Mother's Day, I decided it was time to write some posts about my favorite mothers. From the picture, you can guess who this one is about!

One of my favorite quotes from Jodie of all time goes like this, "Oh, Ian, I don't usually tell you what to do, but I'm going to give you this one piece of advice. Don't *ever* go to law school!" Now, at the tender age of 14, or something, I was helping her crack logic games for the LSAT, so she wasn't making a judgement about my ability. She was speaking to the very nature of the experience.

I would note that she has gone on to launch a fabulous career as a lawyer, so it all turned out well. That has, at times, made me think that maybe that advice was misplaced, somehow. Or at least frozen in a moment in time.

Lately, though, I have found myself absolutely immersed in adversarial activities. Union business, town politics, competitive publishing projects, policy negotiations with my colleagues, consulting with a friend that has been dealt an unfair professional judgement. I have realized that Jodie was absolutely right. I can do OK at it all, in fact I find it strangely fascinating. But it's not about ability or inclination. It's about temperment. That kind of work is incredibly draining.

Funny thing is, Emma is off on the other side of the planet, studying issues of law and Islam in Morocco. That line of study may very well land her in grad school, studying the law, or public policy. And as much as she and I share features of our intellectual styles, and approaches to problems, I would never tell her the same thing, since she's found a way to come at it from an angle that suits her beautifully. I could easily find myself jealous, in fact.

But for me, it is hard work. So kudos to Jodie, and Ger, and my union leaders, who can accomplish so much good work in such a mode. But most of all, thank you to Jodie for a fantastic piece of advice. I have learned that one should listen to parents, even when they tell you not to follow them down a particular path. It's not necessarily about ability. It's about quality of life. And they're helping you find your own best way in the world.

Love
Ian


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home